
Clinton, OK – An Altus man is facing a felony charge in Custer County after investigators said he withdrew nearly $2,000 that had been mistakenly deposited into a business account and failed to return the money after being notified of the error.
According to a probable cause affidavit filed in Custer County District Court, John Thomas Brandt, 31, has been charged with grand larceny in connection with the incident, which allegedly occurred in December 2025.
Investigators said officers were called to a Clinton bank on Dec. 26, 2025, regarding a fraud complaint involving an accidental deposit of $1,949.05 into a business account connected to Brandt. Court records state the money was intended for a different customer’s account.
According to the affidavit, bank staff discovered the mistake shortly after the deposit and contacted Brandt requesting the funds be returned. Records state Brandt initially indicated he would bring the money back at a later time, but investigators later learned the funds had not been repaid.
During the investigation, Brandt reportedly told authorities he believed the money was connected to a loan he was expecting from a credit card company and did not realize it did not belong to him when it first appeared in the account. Investigators said Brandt acknowledged during a recorded phone call that he had not repaid the money.
An arrest warrant was approved after a judge found probable cause existed in the case on May 11, 2026.
Copyright 2026 Paragon Communications. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.




